9 factors that cause dementia

Parachute game

New research into dementia has given nine risk factors that can contribute to someone developing dementia. The risk factors given at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference in July 2017 weighted each risk in the role it can play in developing dementia.

Mid-life hearing loss – 9%

Failing to complete secondary education – 8%

Smoking – 5%

Depression – 4%

Physical inactivity – 3%

Social isolation – 2%

High blood pressure – 2%

Obesity – 1%

Type 2 diabetes – 1%

 Added to together these risk factors equate to 35%. For the other 65%, there is thus far nothing anyone can do to limit them.

The authors of the research published in the ‘Lancet Commission on dementia prevention, intervention and care’ suggest that not completing secondary education might imply that those who continue to learn throughout their life may build up additional brain reserves. Loss of hearing in mid-life could result in people not having a cognitively rich environment and can result in social isolation and depression.

Consequently, the authors believe that one-third of dementia cases are preventable.

At Tapestry, we both care for people with dementia and through activities we provide like to think that we are playing our part in preventing future cases of dementia.  Our Wellbeing and Home care service gives a safe place for people to meet, provides support in the home with continuity of care workers, offers a companionship service and provides physical activities and healthy food.

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]